When you fight Douglas Bruce, expect him to fight back.
Last week, the No on 300 campaign committee, which is opposing Bruce’s latest ballot initiative, failed to meet the Oct. 13 deadline to file a report detailing its campaign contributions and expenditures.
“I request that they be fined at the daily rate until they properly file their campaign committee report,” Bruce said in an e-mail to Deputy City Clerk Cindy Conway at 11:04 p.m. Oct. 14.
“This is the third consecutive election in which treasurer Kevin Walker has failed to comply with reporting requirements,” Bruce claimed in the e-mail.
Walker, who filed the report a day late after he was notified by The Gazette, was forced to pay a $50 fine for missing the deadline.
In the same e-mail to Conway, Bruce raised objections about a transfer of more than $4,800 to the No on 300 group from unspent campaign contributions from the Jobs Now campaign, which promoted issue 1A in the April election. Voters rejected 1A.
“There are fines involved as a penalty, not just a return of the money. I expect your office to enforce the law fully, even though they are on the same side of the issue as the City Council,” Bruce said in the e-mail.
“Since Kevin Walker has violated campaign laws in the last three or four elections, there is no basis for leniency,” he said.
Conway told Bruce that his complaint would be reviewed.
Two days later, Walker filed an amended campaign report.
City Clerk Kathryn Young said a transfer of funds from one campaign committee to another is allowed, but Walker didn’t file the appropriate paperwork.
“I told them what to do to make it right,” she said.